Regardless of the type of facility you have, safety is crucial. Having a flooring solution with a nonslip (or slip retardant) surface can be critical in the wellbeing of everyone who walks into your building. Though no flooring will protect you 100% from slips and falls, choosing the right product will go a long way in mitigating the risk. Below are some options to consider for your slip-resistant flooring needs:
Armstrong: Slip Retardant Flooring (SRF)
Armstrong is a global leader in safety flooring. According to the manufacturer’s website, “Healthcare, education, and retail facilities have an extraordinary responsibility to protect the health and well-being of occupants with an environment that is clean, comfortable, dry and safe. Safety Zone Sheet and Tile Flooring is designed with this in mind, providing enhanced traction for an added measure of safety where it matters most.”.
Safety Zone Sheet has an embossed surface made with aluminum oxide particles encapsulated in polyurethane finish for enhanced traction. Features include:
- Enhanced through-traction pattern and through-body color for even wear.
- Excellent for wet areas like lavatories, locker rooms, and wet physical therapy spaces.
- Easy to clean with minimal operation disruption – No sealing, buffing, stripping, polishing or restorative maintenance.
Safety Zone Tile is also a powerful option with an embossed surface embedded with proprietary particles. Features include:
- Through-pattern wear layer for lasting performance (even under heavy traffic conditions).
- Palette coordinates with LVT and VCT for complimentary designs in adjacent spaces.
- Exclusive “Fast Start Factory Finish” for quick and easy maintenance.
ECOfit Rubber Flooring is made from 8.2mm vulcanized composition rubber, aids in slip resistance in wet or dry settings, and reduces the risk of injury. Features include:
- Sound and shock absorbent
- Fade resistant and wears well
- Coated with ECOguard
Stepwise™ technology is infused into top-quality porcelain tile increasing its dynamic coefficient of friction (DCOF – The DCOF measures how tile will perform in wet conditions) making tile 50% more slip resistant. According to the manufacturer, floor covering with this coating is ideal for commercial kitchens, pool surfaces, bathrooms and more. Features include:
- Gripping power (superior traction on wet and dry surfaces – even shower floors).
- Easy to clean.
- Never wears off. Unlike other non-slip coatings, this is permanent and won’t wear away even in commercial or heavy traffic spaces.
- Can be used both inside and outside.
- Free of toxic chemicals.
- Stylish designs
Stepwise™ technology is currently available on the following tile lines: Astronomy, Emerson Wood, Industrial Park, Reminiscent, Saddle Brook XT, Slate Attaché, Volume 1.0.
FlexTerior™ Metal Treads for Stairs and Landings are made with an anti-slip epoxy coating that is manufactured with exterior-grade aluminum and inlaid with a blend of epoxy and abrasive grit. Features include:
- Resistant to corrosion.
- Exceeds ADA recommendations for slip resistance.
- UV-stable, custom color matching available.
- Pre-drilled with countersunk holes for flush finish.
- Indoor and outdoor use for industrial or commercial applications.
Distinct Designs Rubber Flooring offers raised and textured patterns designed for dirt and water to drain off the walking surface while increasing traction and improving slip resistance. Features include:
- Homogenous construction.
- Natural resistance to bacteria and fungi.
- Ribbed inserts or grit strips available.
- Wide range of colors.
FlexTuft® Recycled Rubber Tile is made from recycled tires and withstand water, high traffic and heavy loads. Features include:
- Anti-slip features meeting ADA recommendations for ramps and is ideal for foyers, exercise facilities and stairways.
- Extremely durable and non-slip.
Altro Promenade blends safety solutions with a modern look. This slip-resistant sheet flooring can endure extreme and harsh temperatures and weather conditions without fading, cracking, or decomposing. Features include:
- Exterior or indoor use. Good for use in areas exposed to all weather conditions year-round.
- Good use for patios, decks and pool surroundings.
- Prevents rainwater and excess moisture accumulation that damages subfloors over time.
Composition Tile – Color Essence SR is a Vinyl Enhanced Tile (VET) that is ideal for high traffic areas. It has a slip-resistant texture for safety. This tile is considered an optimal solution for retail, education, and healthcare applications. Features include:
- 6 colorways that match full Cortina Grande line.
- Unique construction reduces maintenance costs.
Composition Tile – Cortina Grande SR is a Solid Vinyl Tile (SVT) with a classic confetti pattern. With a homogenous construction and a slip-resistant texture, this tile is also ideal for retail, education and healthcare applications. Features include:
- 6 that match full Cortina Grande line
- Unique construction reduces maintenance costs
Sheet Vinyl – Granit Safe T is a durable flooring solution for heavy-traffic wet areas where safety is the utmost importance. With a protective finish, the surface is safe from stains and is easy to maintain. Features include:
- Provides confident grip for feet to reduce the risk of slipping.
- Available in 11 colors that coordinate with iQ Granit.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
Continental understands the importance of safety and the prevention of slips and falls in the workplace. Let our team help you find the product that is right for you. We can offer materials only or complete installation services. GSA Buyers may wish to register online to view GSA pricing. This feature allows buyers quick, up-to-date access to 17 different GSA contracted manufacturers. Please add our website to your list of favorites and check back periodically as we continue to grow our product lines and offerings. We are committed to fulfilling our role as government flooring and ceiling system specialists by offering you the best pricing, selection and service nationwide. Please feel free to call us for product advice, free samples, assistance in specifications, or to place an order. One call does it all!