Beyond the Gym – The Evolution of Rubber Sport Flooring
There was time when rubber sport flooring was only found in your local gym. As facilities have grown and changed, sport flooring has evolved to keep step. Over the last decade, rubber sport flooring has expanded beyond workouts and weight rooms. “Sport flooring” can also be used in non-traditional applications such as in classrooms, high-traffic hallways, and more. Rubber, known for its recycled content, is an extremely versatile product. From interlocking tiles, rolls or sheet rubber, there is a solution for both indoor and outdoor applications.
What to consider when selecting which rubber sport flooring is best for your facility:
- Impact: Evaluate what activities will take place on the rubber floor. Know what is best for free weights, weight racks, or heavy equipment or what will work best for fitness classes and general traffic. There are specific choices that work best for impact activities versus floor protection.
- DIY Installation: Interlocking rubber tiles offer easy installation without adhesives; tiles can be removed, reversed, and replaced for longer wear. Many facilities install with existing staff.
- Designs Options: Custom logos and designs are available for most rubber sport floors. A wide array of colors and textures can also impact your space. There are many choices to create a just-right floor for any environment.
- Anti-bacterial Surfaces: Treated flooring can help eliminate bacteria and reduce the spread of germs.
- Spike / Skate Resistant: Rubber sport floors are ideal for recreational areas such as hockey, skate, golf and more.
- Pool and Spa Areas: If water is a factor, a slip-resistant surface is a must.
Rubber sport flooring is a staple product in many commercial gyms. Durable and flexible, rubber can come in countless colors, motifs, and sizes. Rubber flooring is available in:
- Rolls (most cost effective, no seams, reduced tripping hazard)
- Interlocking tiles (excellent for heavy use, no adhesive, easily moved and replaced)
- Heavy duty mats (absorbs shock, reduces noise, can be customized with colors or graphics)
Continental flooring offers multiple rubber sport flooring manufacturers. Here are a few specific products to consider:
Prime Sports from Flexco is an American made, slip-resistant, rubber recreational flooring; It’s available in rolls, square tiles, or interlocking tiles. Prime Sports is shock, and sound absorbing, and can be used for both indoor and outdoor applications. It’s up to 90% chip content for one or multiple colors. This highly functional and highly affordable rubber flooring is designed for commercial, industrial and fitness applications.
Dinoflex Stride Fitness Tiles are ideal for workout areas that are located over occupied space. These floor tiles are non-laminated and provide superior vibration absorption and unparalleled noise reduction. The tiles are 1 ½” thick and have been engineered for stability and impact. The have a no-glue, self-aligning dowel interlocking system that allows the tile to be installed over existing rubber flooring. Stride Fitness Tiles are available in a wide range of colors with custom colors available upon request.
Roppe Recoil Fitness Flooring is a multi-functional flooring designed for use in commercial or industrial applications where a bit more comfort is needed under foot. This flooring can be used both inside and out and has a texture that is soft to walk on while being slip resistant. Recoil is available in rolls and 36” x 36” interlocking tiles. Custom colors are also available upon request.
ECOfit from Ecore is designed for bodies in motion. This fusion-bonded, athletic rubber roll flooring provides enhanced performance while mitigating fatigue and the risk of injury. Made from high-quality, post-consumer recycled rubber granules, this flooring is sound and shock abosorbent, wear and water-resistant, and is slip resistant wet or dry. ECOfit has an expansive color line and is the perfect balance of durability and beauty.
Whatever your needs for your commercial, gym, or sport center flooring, Continental has the answer. Several manufacturers offer excellent products and styles, including Flexco, Ecore, Tarkett, Nora, Johnsonite, and Dinoflex. Continental Flooring can offer just the materials for your commercial gym project, or complete installation services. Be sure you explore all your options. Ask your Continental Flooring representative about available commercial gym flooring products.
Please feel free to contact us for product advice, free samples, assistance in specifications, or to place an order. We welcome contract purchases, formal bids, RFQs or Open Market requirements. One call will do it all!
Contact Us Today!
Call Toll Free 800-825-1221 | Request a Quote
- Federal, State, County, and Municipalities
- Schools, Colleges, and Universities
- Public Housing Authority (PHA)
Continental Flooring has been servicing government agencies since 1979 and continues to be a top flooring and ceiling provider in the public sector.