Outdoor entrances can present serious safety problems for any commercial building or facility. Moisture, dirt, and debris can accumulate near doors creating slippery walking surfaces. Entrances can become even more dangerous when stairs are involved, upping the chances of accidental trips and falls. There are a number of solutions to increase traction, make surfaces more stable, and make entrance areas safer.
Slip-resistant walk-off mats are a must. Slips and falls are the 2nd leading cause of workplace injuries. Slip-resistant and safety mats help provide safe working areas for employees and visitors to facilities. 85% of worker’s compensation claims are attributed to employees slipping on slick floors. The utilization of slip-resistant mats is an ideal solution to prevent such accidents from occurring. Rubber-backed mats provide a better slip resistance than vinyl-backed mats. Rubber-backed mats do not curl as do vinyl mats, thus reducing trip and fall exposure. Some rubber-backed mats have cleated surfaces on the bottom that further enhances non-skid properties and allow moisture to dry from underneath the mat. In addition, Message Mats can be printed with standard messages regarding safety and distancing. A variety of sizes, shapes, and textures are available. Manufacturers include:
- M+A Matting’s SuperScrape Impressions Logo Mats feature custom logos or artwork overlaid onto a SuperScrape mat. Multi-color images are created by molding a digitally printed polymeric material into the durable nitrile rubber surface of the mat. This mat is certified high-traction by National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI).
- NoTrax’s Wayfarer® “spaghetti” mats do not absorb water, adapt to any surface, and perform well in different climates. A choice of backings ensures minimum movement. Unbacked versions allow water to flow through for maximum drainage and slip resistance.
- Musson Rubber offers an array of entrance mats and aluminum recess mat frames to perfectly fit mats in recess.
The health and safety of customers and employees are a top priority for every facility and business. The right products on entrance stairs are the first step toward safety. Aluminum and metal treads create rugged options for any environment. Manufacturers include:
- Musson Rubber Grit Surface Aluminum Stair Treads are made from Diamond hard aluminum oxide abrasives combined with “space-age” polymeric binders bonded to a heat-treated high strength aluminum square nose stair tread. Ideal for use in the most heavily traveled, outdoor public stairways, these metal stair coverings hold up to in the harshest environments including, rain, snow, sleet, and extreme temperature ranges.
- Musson Rubber’s “Grit Strips” help prevent slipping. Any surfaces that include Grit Strips offer added safety and more extended wear.
- Roppe’s Safety Abrasive Strips are standard on some product lines. Ribbed rubber inserts and custom strips can also be added for extra traction or to aid the visually impaired. Available with self-illuminating photo-luminescent abrasive glow strips for added safety in darkened conditions
- Flexco’s FlexTerior™ Metal Treads for Stairs and Landings are made with an anti-slip epoxy coating manufactured with exterior-grade aluminum and inlaid with a blend of epoxy and abrasive grit. Outdoors in rugged conditions, indoors in industrial or commercial applications, FlexTerior™ treads provide a slip-resistant surface that’s made to last.
Continental can help you find the right product to make your entrances and stairways safer. Ask your Continental Flooring representative about available options. We can offer materials only or complete installation services. GSA Buyers may wish to register online to view GSA pricing. This feature allows buyers quick, up-to-date access to 17 different GSA contracted manufacturers. Please feel free to call us for product advice, free samples, assistance in specifications, or place an order. One call does it all!